Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Michael Pollan's Food Rules



I love Michael Pollan's writing about food, which is both thoughtful and thought provoking. Pollan has a way of crystallizing what I'm thinking in the back of my mind into simple coherent statements.

Pollan has a new book out called "Food Rules." I haven't read the actual book yet, but he writes about it here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-pollan/food-rules-a-completely-d_b_410173.html. The few sample rules he gives show that the book should be a worthwhile read. Among my favorites:

  • Avoid foods you see advertised on television.

  • Don't eat breakfast cereals which change the color of milk.

  • Eat all the junk food you want as long as you make it yourself.

  • If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't.

9 comments:

  1. Cool stuff. I particularly like, "Make your own junk." Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although, my rule generally is that if I'm going to eat "junk," i.e., dessert, I'll do it in a really expensive restaurant (where you know the "junk" will be worth every single calorie).

    I'm less likely to go to an expensive restaurant tha bake.

    When I do bake, however, I only use the freshest, organic ingredients as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, with "make your own junk" he's not talking about desserts or treats, only. Also French fries, fried chicken and many other things we (well, maybe not "we", but lots of people) buy at convenience stores, fast and casual chain restaurants -- things that have become everyday foods that used to be consumed occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. replica bags prada have a peek here o7m03e8x60 replica bags ebay replica bags china free shipping hermes replica a6r95p4b09 replica bags louis vuitton replica bags australia more tips here z5g98j9e79 replica bags wholesale hong kong

    ReplyDelete