Friday, January 15, 2010

Getting Old Sucks

Back in November I somehow injured my left shoulder. I don't know how I did it, there was no definitive "ouch!" moment, but it caused me a lot of pain.

Because of the pain, I had to really scale back my yoga practice and cut out many of my favorite inverted balances and anything that put pressure on my shoulder, such as full back-bends.

In the last few weeks, as the pain subsided, I've gradually added back in the postures and vinyasas I had to forgo in my practice and I thought I'd finally be able to do my full practice again sometime next week.

Then, yesterday, as I was reaching for my teakettle my RIGHT shoulder inexplicably began hurting. Again, there was no "ouch" moment, it just began to hurt and this morning I once again had to really scale back my yoga practice to accommodate the pain.

It's all very frustrating.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, been there sworn at that.

    Sometimes I get the feeling my body pulls tricks like that simply because it enjoys the extra attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm now in my 60s and have very few aches and pains -- especially as compared to many of my friends. I've noticed something, however, I've never been an extremely active person. I don't mean I've been a slug, but I don't enjoy sports and am not athletic in any way. My job kept me pretty active (R.N. involved in patient care). My main form of exercise is walking and I've done a little ballet over the years and now do a minimal resistance training routine and some minimal stretching.

    ReplyDelete