Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Food Fight

I am really, really, really pissed right now at my sister.

Let me explain. My younger sister belongs to the "my darlings are too precious" to make them try new foods camp. Her sons are aged 8 and 10.

Whenever my sister is invited anywhere, she brings food for her kids. Yes, she brown bags it to catered affairs, people houses, picnics etc.

I'm sorry but bringing alternative food for your kids stops being socially acceptable once they hit five.

On Sunday we are having a little family get together to celebrate three birthdays. My son's, my daughter's and my one nephew (all of them are born within one month).

Usually we order a cake and my poor son, who's allergic to wheat and dairy, doesn't get to eat it.

This year I thought it would be nice to make something we all can eat. I've made a wheat free Angel food cake in the past that everyone loves, so this year I'm making Angel food cupcakes with Marshmallow frosting for the party. I even bought some sprinkles for the cupcakes to make them really kid friendly.

My sister doesn't know if her precious darling will like Angel food cupcakes (mind you he's never tried it) and is insisting on bringing another cake. She won't even let her son try the damn thing that I'm going through the time and effort to make.

Let me tell you, when you're at a family gathering insisting that your kids eat what's being presented to them, it really undermines the effort when you're sister starts nuking chicken nuggets so that her darlings don't have to try the baked fish.

Now, I have a son allergic to wheat and dairy. I have a legitimate reason to bring food, yet I never do. I feed him before we leave for any food related event. Once there, I let him know what his options are, and if nothing appeals to him, he doesn't eat. Period, end of story.

1 comment:

  1. Some woman will curse your sister someday in the future when she tries to cook for her husband and he won't eat anything except chicken nuggets. She (your sister) isn't doing her sons any favors Her attitude/behavior could cripple them in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete