Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It's About More than Weight Loss

I've said it over and over again that weight loss is about more than looking good. It's about our overall health and well being. Being overweight brings a host of health problems, as does eating unhealthy food and not exercising.

So when I read an article like this one, http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20100112/hl_hsn/exercisemaystaveoffmentaldecline, it further inspires me to keep on moving. It says that two new studies show that helps to improve or prevent mild cognitive impairment.

One study demonstrated that those who did moderate exercise in mid-life, such as swimming, brisk walking, yoga, etc where 39% less likely to have mild cognitive impairment. That's a pretty significant percentage.

I often hear people say that exercise "clears their head." I know that when I start to drift into a "brain funk" half way through my work-day, a brisk walk gets my mind working again way better than a cup of coffee or some sugary snack does.

1 comment:

  1. When I initially commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me
    when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment
    is added I get four emails with the exact same comment.

    Perhaps there is a means you are able to remove me from that service?

    Thanks!

    Also visit my web site :: auto insurance estimator

    ReplyDelete