Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Diets that Do More Harm than Good


As you all may know, I don't believe in fad diets and here's a list of some pretty bad ones.

The only one that I see that could have any merit is the "Hallelujah" diet. Although, the problem is that this version of a raw/vegan diet probably takes it to extremes.

While I'm all for upping the amount of raw fruits and vegetables, and think it should be the bulk of your diet, going completely raw/vegan is not only not healthy, but unsustainable in the long run.

I will admit that a completely raw/vegan diet for a week or two is an excellent detox. I've done it several times, and I have to say that it does lead to significant weight loss. But, I can understand that completely giving up vital nutrients for longer than that is apt to cause health problems in the long run.

Not only that, if you try to stick to this diet too long, it will up your "pain in the ass" factor. You'll be one of those obnoxious "diet people" that no one is going to want to go out to dinner with or invite over their home.


2 comments:

  1. I have friends who are vegan and raw vegan and I'll have to say -- they're healthy. I don't think those diets are for everyone and I'll definitely agree that it ups the pia factor!

    I don't think those diets are unhealthy, but I don't think that they're necessary for health -- as my friends say. But shucks, I don't even think that eating more raw is necessary. More vegetables and fruits, yes, but a majority raw? Nah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem. After forty my weight gains 2 kg per year. Hormones do not works as before. I don’t like how I look now. I want my thin waist back:)
    I even developed the idea of a tool that would help me in this. Now I am looking for investors. Also I collect useful links in one site. Take a look if you like.
    My goal is to lose weight by 8 kg. One kg I already took off in 1 month.
    My English is not very good, sorry.
    Here is my site with useful links for women after45.
    www.after45.com
    http://after45.viviti.com/

    ReplyDelete