Wednesday, October 28, 2009

To Scale or Not to Scale, That is the Question



T-Rez over at Queen of My Domain has ditched her scale (http://www.queenofdadomain.com/2009/10/i-want-to-let-yall-in-on-secret.html).

I usually agree with what T-Rez writes, but this time I have to disagree. I'm a big believer in keeping track of one's weight when trying to both lose it and maintain it afterwards. I weigh myself several times a week religiously, and note any trends.

Note, that I say "trends." I don't obsess every time it shows a pound or two gained. Weight fluctuates a lot of a number of reasons, including water retention, so if I see I'm up a couple of pounds, I usually give it a day or two to see if it's an anomaly, or sign of a permanent weight gain.

And, tight fitting jeans aside, watching the scale tells you a whole lot faster if you've been gaining weight and need to make exercise and dieting changes than not weighing yourself regularity.

That said, I also back up my scale watching with measurement. I take my measurements regularly, and actually have records going back over ten years. It's easy, just keep a note-book with a measuring tape someone in your bedroom (or where you get dressed) and note down your measurements every couple of weeks or so. I record the following:

Date:
Weight:
Bust:
Under Bust:
Waist:
Hips:
Right Thigh:
Left Thigh

Just to give you an idea the last time I took my measurements, my stats were as follows:

Weight: 126.6 pounds
Bust: 38 inches
Under Bust 29 inches
Waist: 27 1/2 inches
Hips 35 3/4 inches
Right Thigh: 20 inches
Left Thigh: 20 inches

Back in May 2007 when I finally got serious about losing weight and toning up my stats were as follows:

Weight: 156 pounds
Bust: 39 1/2 inches
Under Bust: 31 inches
Waist: 32 Inches
Hips: 40 inches
Right Thigh: 23 1/2 inches
Left Thigh: 23 inches

Just to go back further in March of 1999 (which as before I had my second child), my stats were

Weight: 120 pounds
Bust: 36
Under Bust 29 1/2
Waist 28
Hips 37 1/2
Right Thigh: 21 1/2
Left Thigh: 21

Notice that although I weighed less, I actually had bigger measurements in the waist, hips and thighs then I do now. That's because muscle weighs more than fat, and I'm certainly more muscular than I was then (I'm also packing a couple of fibroids which I'm sure ups the weight as well).

So, it's not that I think the scale should be the end all and be all of measuring your weight loss success. It's just that I believe that using the scale, in conjunction with other guideposts (which can be a set of jeans), is still a good idea.

2 comments:

  1. I think it depends on whether or not the scale makes you crazy. My weight doesn't bounce that much, plus I have a full arsenal of rationalization techniques, so I don't freak usually. If it made me wig, I would put it away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on cheapest insurance online.
    Regards

    Here is my page: cars with the cheapest insurance rates

    ReplyDelete