Friday, October 2, 2009

Drink Up!!!














Turns out that moderate alcohol consumers (about 1.5 glasses of wine a day), exercised more, on average, than light or moderate drinkers. Check it out here: http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/10/moderate-alcohol-consumption-yields-increased-exercise/

A recently released study proves that moderate female drinkers, those who imbibe more than 45 drinks a month (which seems like a lot of drinking, although it really only averages out to
just shy of 1.5 glasses of wine a night) exercised 14 more minutes per week on average than those light drinkers who drank one to 14 drinks in the month. These women also reported exercising on average 20 minutes more than those who abstained from alcohol altogether. Also, drinkers of both sexes were 10 percent more likely than their sober peers to exercise vigorously in any given week.
I have to admit that I'm one of those people who likes a glass of wine or two at the end of the day. I grew up in one of those Italian households were the adults drank wine every day and insisted it was good for you to do so. It seems that they are now being proven right in study after study demonstrating the health benefits of moderate wine drinking.

My husband and I often sit around sipping a little vino at the end of the night and just talking. I almost never drink hard alcohol or never developed a taste for beer (which is good considering the calories in both).

So, I guess my end of the day wine habit may be, in actuality, a good thing.

2 comments: