Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Apple of My Eye


My attempt to take the kids apple picking on Friday was thwarted by the weather, but the rest of the weekend was beautiful so we went apple picking on Sunday afternoon.
We took a long leisurely drive through Litchfield County to this beautiful orchard set high on a hill top. We picked Rome, Red Delicious and Green apples with a backdrop of New England foliage.
What can I say? It was just one of those perfect days.
But picking apples was about more than just enjoying the scenery. Apples are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. There is a reason for that old saying, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away."
A large apple has just 115 calories, but is loaded with fiber, Vitamin C and has 0% fat.
Just one large apple fills me up for most of the morning, and two large apples is a breakfast that gets me through the entire morning.
I also love to juice apples--either alone or in combination with other fruits and veggies. Apple/carrot juice is surprisingly yummy.

2 comments:

  1. I <3 apples so much! Never a day goes by without one or two - yummity yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which helped me.
    Cheers!

    Review my weblog ... automobile insurance co

    ReplyDelete