Friday, August 28, 2009

The Pistachio Principle" of Weight Loss

This article pretty much sums up what I always say--you won't permanently lose weight if you go on a diet were you feel deprived or hungry. To lose weight you have to learn to eat less and eat better: http://health.yahoo.com/experts/weightloss/6373/the-quotpistachio-principlequot-of-weight-loss/

Specifically,

James Painter, PhD, RD, has come up with a new, non-dieting approach to weight loss that he calls the "Pistachio Principle." He says his experiments have shown that people can consume fewer calories without consciously restricting themselves, and yet finish a meal feeling as satisfied and full as does the average American who consumes more calories.

As justification for the new direction he is taking, he cites the fact that all forms of dieting, including the Pritikin Principle®, the Atkins Diet®, and Weight Watchers®, have yielded poor long-term weight-loss results, and he points to rebound eating in response to feelings of deprivation as one probable reason
for their failure.

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of this before, but it makes perfect sense. When people ask me how I lost weight, I tell them I eat less, and I eat better. And exercise. I don't really feel deprived, though I did go through a bit of a stage of resentment adjusting to the fact that I couldn't eat anything and as much as I wanted whenever I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all do. That's why I say go through the adjustment slowly. If you go cold turkey, you'll just rebound. You may take longer to lose weight by eliminating the bad stuff slowly, but you'll keep it off, because you won't rebound.

    ReplyDelete