Monday, July 13, 2009

My Weekend at the Spa

I'm ba-a-a-ck!!! What can I say??? It was wonderful. I had the absolute best time over the weekend at the New Age Health Spa in Neversink, NY.


I love my family, but getting away for an entire weekend to pamper myself, exercise and juice fast is just heaven.


I got to the spa around 2 pm on Friday, unpacked and relaxed for a bit. At 3 there was open time for individual yoga practice in the yoga space (a beautiful natural wood paneled open room called Cayuga), so I did a modified Ashtanga primary series practice for about 45 minutes. Then at 4 I stayed for the led Freeing Restorative yoga class.


If you've never taken a restorative yoga class, then you have definitely missed out. In a restorative yoga class, you use bolsters, blankets and other props to support yourself in stretches, then you hang out in these stretches for five minutes or so. By the end of the class you feel both flexible and totally relaxed.


After I sat in a chair outside and read, prior to going to "dinner" at 6. My "dinner" was a delicious blend of carrot, fennel, spinach and apple juices topped with a beautiful yellow tropical flower. I added some fresh ginger juice to my "cocktail" and sipped away.


Then I headed off to the services department for a colonic, which I followed up with fifteen minutes in the sauna and a shower. Back in my room I read peacefully until I fell asleep.


Saturday morning I was up at 6:30 for the 7 am Aerobic walk followed by the Mixed Level Hatha Yoga class at 8. Breakfast was a blend of pineapple and watermelon juices which was scrumptious.


After breakfast I headed over to the inside whirlpool and hung out there for a while, then I headed back to the sauna for another 15 minute session. I showered and then headed off to lunch.


Lunch was another delicious juice mixture, and I still wasn't feeling the slightest bit hungry. After lunch, I headed vegged for a bit, before heading off for a spa pedicure at 3.


The pedicure was delightful. In addition to the normal pedicure routine, the manicurist gave my feet and lower legs a salt scrub and then applied a peppermint mask (which tingled.) My feet and legs are now as soft as a baby's bottom.


After the pedicure I took a Chinese Healing Exercise class at 4, then headed back to my room to grab my needlepoint. I settled myself into a comfortable lounge chair and worked on my needlepoint until it was time for dinner.


Without still having felt a hunger pang, I had another delicious juice for dinner, then headed back to the spa for an aromatherapy message. I choice the "relaxation" mixtures of oils which included lavender and Eucalyptus. I followed up the message with another stint in the sauna, I headed back to the room where I read for a while then slept like a baby.


I broke my fast first thing in the morning by having a banana, although I really could have kept going. I took the aerobic walk and yoga class again, and then had oatmeal with raisins, Cinnamon, maple syrup and blueberries for breakfast.


After breakfast I took a Zumba Dance class, which fuses Latin rhythms and dance moves, and a Roll & Stretch class. I then packed up and checked out, and had a lunch of salad and pasta primavera.


Following lunch, I headed home. I juiced for a day and a half, and felt absolutely wonderful.


The staff of the New Age Health Spa was attentive and courteous. In particular, Randi, who was guiding the juice fasters was very informative and helpful. The spa grounds are beautiful, with pocket gardens spread throughout the property, and lounge chairs and hammocks are strewn everywhere so you can easily find a place to enjoy the views.

Now if there was only some way I could actually do this for an entire week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment