Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Plant a Garden








I've finished with the bulk of planting my vegetables and herbs for the season. I have two spots in the yard where I plant vegetables and herbs.

Right next to the kitchen door is my "kitchen garden."

I call it the kitchen garden but only because it's right off the kitchen. The truth of the matter is that I planted a garden here because the location faces south with no trees to block the light so it gets constant sun all day. This year I planted Heirloom tomatoes, bell and hot peppers, parsley and basil in the "kitchen garden."

Near the entrance to the yard is what I call the "formal herb garden," although it's more of a potager. Besides herbs such as thyme, fennel, sage, mint and cilantro, I grow a wide assortment of vegetables here. This year I'm growing cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, tomotoes, scallions and zucchini in this garden.

By planting and growing my own vegetables and herbs, I have a constant supply of fresh vegetables that I know have not been sprayed with pesticides, fungicides, or other harsh chemicals. Plus, when you have a garden full of fresh veggies, you just have to eat them.

Plus, gardening is good for the waist-line. Tooling around in the garden burns calories--in the neighborhood of 300 an hour.

So if you have a yard with a sunny spot, try growing your own vegetables and herbs. If all you have is a deck, try pots.

1 comment:

  1. I savour, cause I found exactly what I used to be having a look for.
    You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man.
    Have a great day. Bye

    my page ... auto & home insurance

    ReplyDelete