Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Fat Nazi

I'm sorry, but you can carry dieting obsessions a bit too far. This woman sounds like a bit of a Nazi in her desire to put the entire country on a diet: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/may/24/meme-roth-obesity-nutrition

I'm sorry, but being personally appalled by fat people and shaming them to be thin is not going to solve the obesity crisis in this country.

The sad thing, is this wack-job is actually right about a lot of the things she says, but then she ruins it by being so off-the-wall fundamentalist about it. I mean stealing the sprinkles from a YMCA ice cream social? Comparing eating to rape?

And, I happen to agree that corporate food producers in this country have a real stake in making us fat. This item in the article, gets to the heart of the problem:

"Marion Nestle, the author of Food Politics and professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York university, explains that "the basic problem is that if people are going to do something about obesity, they need to eat less, and eating less is bad for business. The food industry is a trillion-dollar-a-year business." Nestle tells me that 3,900 calories are produced per capita every day - roughly twice the average need. "We're talking about capitalism here," she says."

Corporate food interests need for us to be fat so that they can make money!! And, it's not just vanity at stake here. Body acceptance is nice, but when you're overweight, your health is at stake.

1 comment:

  1. What's Happening i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I've found It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads. I'm hoping to contribute & aid
    different users like its aided me. Good job.

    Feel free to surf to my web blog cheap temporary car insurance (http://trilln.com/online_auto_insurance)

    ReplyDelete