Monday, February 7, 2011

When Life Throws you Tons of Snow, Make Snowmen



Today it looks like we're finally catching a break from the onslaught of snow and frigid temperatures. It's actually in the upper 30's and sunny right now, and it's supposed to get up into the 40s this afternoon here in Weston, CT. Considering that temperatures have been mostly hovering around the teens and 20s since mid-December, today is going to be down-right balmy.

But, even this brief respite won't be enough to make any real dent in the huge accumulations of snow we've had since the end of December. Right now, I still have over two feet of snow in my yard.

The snow, and the cold weather, has really set people off to bitching here in the Northeast.

But I say, why bitch about the snow when you can enjoy it?

Instead of sitting inside and complaining about the weather, get outside and make a snowman with your kids (or grand-kids). Go cross-country skiing or snowshoeing. Grab a sled and head for the nearest hill.

Book a trip to a ski resort, or just head to one for a day trip. It's the best skiing the Northeast has seen in years.

I know, I skied this weekend with my son in New Hampshire. I had a girlfriend along with me for the weekend with her kids as well. Saturday, it was dry and cold, and there was plenty of fresh snow. Sunday there was more fresh snow, although it was a bit damper and colder.

We all had a great time (other than my girlfriend's 13 year old daughter, but that's another story).

If all you do is sit in the house and complain about the weather, you've missed the opportunity to get outside and burn off calories and weight. But, if you learn to love winter sports, you may just find yourself pining for snow, as I do in less then stellar winters.

So, stop the bitching, and get moving.

2 comments:

  1. I like this. Good reminder to get out and enjoy the day. We are about to get some snow in Arkansas, I think I will make it a point to get out and enjoy this one.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it! We got about 8 inches of snow and went out with my daughter this morning for about 30 minutes. Then when my husband came home we went for a longer walk (about an hour). It was beautiful and I felt like I was LIVING! I even talked about that in my blog today. Thanks for your words of wisdom - they changed my day!

    ReplyDelete