Monday, January 31, 2011

The Perfect Breakfast Food






























A nice little piece about my favorite breakfast food--oatmeal. Read it here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eatingwell/oatmeal-best-breakfast-food_b_815539.html

Now, I've sung the praises of oatmeal before. You can scroll down through my blog and see I do and ode to oatmeal at least once a year. It fills you up for the entire morning with few calories, and the fiber is wonderful for your health.

But there's oatmeal and then there's oatmeal. If you eat those pre-flavored, quick cooking packages of oatmeal, well, you might as well eat a bowl of Captain Crunch. You'll get about as much sugar and almost no fiber.

My favorite oatmeal these days is Bob's Red Mill's organic extra thick rolled oats.

Making it is simple and takes less then five minutes. Simply measure in 1/3rd of a cup of oatmeal, 2/3rds of a cup liquids (I use 1/3rd cup almond milk, 1/3rd cup water). That's the basic recipe. Then I add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, a handful of raisins, blueberries if I have them on hand and a drizzle of real maple syrup. I microwave for 2 minutes and 45 seconds, and I have a hot, steaming bowl of weight loss goodness.

This morning I had fruit for breakfast, but they are predicting yet another major snowstorm. We're supposed to only get 5 to 6 inches here in Connecticut, but it's nice to know that if I get struck with a major storm again, I can at least have a hearty breakfast before I go out and shovel again.

2 comments:

  1. Microwaving your food kills it (among other things) so I wouldn't say you are getting all the nutrition you think ~ but I guess it does fill you up with the fiber even so :) Here's to stovetop cooked oatmeal ~ I have it every day in winter months then switch to green smoothies for breakfast in the Spring and Summer :)

    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/microwave-ovens-the-proven-dangers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that argument before, and I'd say it's valid as to fruits and veggies. But this is oatmeal, so I'm not as concerned.

    ReplyDelete