Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Habits that Pack on Pounds and shed them

Losing weight can be simpler then you think. Sometimes just making small changes can help you lose an extra pound or two over the course of a year. Here's an article that gives you seven habits you can change to shed pounds: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/7-habits-make-you-fat

Beyond those suggestions, I have a few more.

First just get into the habit of moving more. I don't mean going to the gym every day for a sweat producing work-out. Just by taking a few extra steps. Stop avoiding stairs. Whenever you have the opportunity to go up or down stairs, take it. Walk to the mailbox instead of waiting until you drive by it. Take a walk to get your lunch or to a friend's house instead of driving.

Second, get into the habit of acting like a kid. Don't sit and watch them as they play tag, join in the fun.

Third, turn your bad habits into good habits. I'll admit it, I am a massive TV addict. I have my "shows" I've just got to watch, and I'm also a news junkie. When I decided to lose weight for good, I realized I had to confront my TV addiction, but rather than fight it, I embraced it. I bought a treadmill and a new TV and set it up in the guest room with a DVR. Then I made a rule, I can only watch my favorite shows if I'm on the treadmill. Even if I have it at a low speed with no incline, I'm still burning more calories and toning muscles then if I was sitting on my sofa watching. I also eventually put a TV in my kitchen. Now, I can get my news hit while I'm cooking or cleaning the kitchen--again I'm moving and watching TV as opposed to sitting.

Which gets me to my next point.

Fourth, get out of the habit of sitting. Don't sit unless you have to. I now have a rule for myself that when I attend any kind of party, I don't sit. I stand and mingle. Standing also leads to walking which leads to more calories being burned. I've gotten to the point that I can stand for 3 or 4 hours in my Manolo Blahniks with 3 inch spikes.

Fifth, get into the habit of going outside in all kinds of weather. Too often we shut ourselves up in the house because its too hot or too cold. Instead of avoiding the weather, learn to love it. I spent an hour yesterday afternoon snowshoeing with a girlfriend. It was 30 degrees outside, but we were quickly sweating. Also, turn off the damn air conditioning in the summer--you'll be doing yourself and the environment a favor. I've found that with the air conditioning on, we sit in the house. With it off we all go outside. The kids run around in the yard, and I putter around the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment