Friday, May 8, 2009

It's All About the Portions

Check this out: http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/user-post-portion-explosion-456931/

Yes, portions sizes have gotten much bigger over the last 20 years putting the lbs on all of us. It's time to think about reducing our portion sizes to slim ourselves down.

Recently a store near me started selling "mini" bagels which I swear to God are the size bagels were when I was a kid. The calorie difference between the new "mini" (which was once the regular size) and the "regular" (a size which never existed 30 years ago) is a whopping 210 calories.

Needless to say, if I need a bagel with cream cheese and lox fix (which from time to time I do), I always go for the mini version. I'd probably have an easier time managing my weight if I avoid it altogether, but between the extra calories in the bagel, cream cheese and lox I'm probably saving 300 calories by going the mini route.

Now, I think it's best to avoid things like french fries, burgers and fast-food sandwiches all together. But, if you do indulge (and we all need to treat ourselves from time to time), go for the "mini" versions if they exist and NEVER "supersize."

Get your junk food fix, but remember that by controlling portion size, you control overall calories (and maybe you may want to do a bit more exercise to work off your indulgence.)

No comments:

Post a Comment