Monday, April 2, 2012

Slimy

I was checking in with Marion Nestle's always well written and informative blog Food Politics, and saw that she had three (yes three!!) full posts on the pseudo-beef, food additive that has been come to be known as Pink Slime.   You can check them out here, here and here

I've been trying to follow the debate on pink slime, but have to admit I'm still pretty confused.   I have no idea whether or not the stuff should be legally allowed into food meant for human consumption.

I can, however, tell you one thing for sure, I do not want either myself or my family eating it.   BPI and other processors of pink slime AKA Lean Finely Textured Beef (LFTB) can argue all they want that it's safe, healthy etc., but I don't want it in my body.

To that end I have one word LABELING.   If is an any product, then it should be clearly spelled out that it's in a product.   Of course the absolute best way to avoid ingesting LFTB would be to just not eat processed meat products or at fast food joints--something I adhere to already.  

Nestle notes that BPI argues that LFTB is safer than using the usual cheap beef products making it less likely that E. Coli will be present.

I have a better idea, just pay more for better beef.    Cheap food is making us sick and fat.   Pay more for your food, eat better and just eat less.   You don't have to spend more on food to eat better.

1 comment:

  1. With such talent like this one you should write about anything like Adipex, healthy living, etc. Thank you so much for wonderful ideas

    ReplyDelete