Wednesday, July 7, 2010

You Know It's Hot When . . . .

Even the cat won't go outside.


We're in the midst of a heat wave here in Connecticut. With the thermometer hitting over 100 degrees yesterday, records were shattered.


Even when I went for my walk at 5:45 am this morning, it was hot--over 80 degrees. In the afternoons, going outside just to move the sprinkler around (which is almost a useless endeavor-the plants are still getting scorched) saps just about every ounce of energy out of me.

And, although we spent $12,000 on a new heating and cooling system ten years ago, and spent additional thousands insulating this place, there is only so much cooling you can accomplish in a house built in 1825. In some parts of the house the temperature is still in the upper 80's.

Needless to say, I've had to dial back my work-outs to accommodate the heat. I'm still walking in the morning, but the heat and the humidity has forced me to slow down the pace. In yoga, particularly since my Shala doesn't believe in air conditioning, I've cut out a number of the vinyasas and am breathing less deeply (the deeper you breath the more you warm up).

Since my treadmill is upstairs, where its hottest, I've either avoided it entirely, or did it slower, with less of an incline and for less time than I normally do.

The only saving grace is that the high temperatures have also completely sapped me of my desire to eat, and when I do eat, it has to be light. Salad for dinner with maybe a bit of grilled fish. Anything that requires too much cooking is definitely out, and there is no way in hell I'm grilling anything outside.

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying your blog and can relate to so much :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete