Friday, October 15, 2010

Some Good News on the Food Front

Wal-Mart plans on buying and selling more local produce: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/15/business/15walmart.html?_r=1&src=busln

As I wrote when I got back from Ireland, one of the things that amazed me in Ireland was that fruit was available everywhere. Every 24 hour convenience store, airport concession, snack bar etc. had fruit.

And, not only was the fruit there, it was delicious. The apples were crisp and tart, the bananas perfectly ripe, and packages of strawberries were plump and sweet.

When I got back to the states, I made a conscience effort to seek out fruit and buy it from places you normally don't find it.

First, it was hard to find. In one airport, I was only able to find a few, very old, bananas. If I found an apple (usually a red delicious) it was inevitably mealy tasting.

I came to the conclusion that it had to do with distances. In Europe, food is shipped from near-by, and quickly sold while its still fresh.

Here in the states, food is shipped over long distances and usually stored for long periods of time under less then optimal conditions.

So hopefully, more local produce will mean better tasting produce at Wal-Mart which will lead to more people eating fruits and vegetables.

6 comments:

  1. OOH! OOH!! I just got stuck on you traveling to Ireland....!! LOVELOVELOVE it there! How was it? Where did you go? How long did you stay? I've been once, with my best friend. Spent 13 days there, making a clockwise circuit from Dublin, south to Kilkenny, the Ring of Kerry, Galway, Mohr, north to Sligo, Donegal, Portrush, thru Belfast and to New Grange. Most spectacular dream come true for me!! Details, please!! If you don't mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's true. I've lived in Ireland all my life and we have not go the kind of convenience food-lifestyle that the US has.

    When were you here? Where did you visit?
    :)
    lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went there in April and, unfortunately, I only had five days to explore. We started at Cashel, then went to Kerry, Galway and Dublin.

    I definitely would like to go back because there is so much to see. I'd even like to go back to some of the places I've already been and spend more time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! You weren't affected by the ash-cloud issues we had in April, i hope?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I was affected by the volcano, but miraculously got in and out with few problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme.

    Did you design this website yourself or did you
    hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. appreciate it

    my web-site ... Car Insurance In Maine

    ReplyDelete