Thursday, October 28, 2010

Now, this is Just Obnoxious


I don't believe in the so called "fat acceptance" movement. I believe that being overweight is not something you should accept about yourself because it carries serious health risks.

If you're severely overweight, you should be working on eating better and getting more exercise--not revelling in your fatness as you head off to Burger King for a Whopper with cheese.

That said, I also believe that you do have to be somewhat accepting of the fact that not everyone can be a size 0 without resorting to eating habits that are just as unhealthy as those of the overweight. Media projects unhealthy images as to what a normal healthy person should look like, and we need to realize that being 5 foot 2 and 130 pounds is not all that bad for a 50 year old woman.

I also think that mocking fat people is just plain WRONG. So I incredibly got pissed off when I read this column from Marie Claire: http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/dating-blog/overweight-couples-on-television

Seriously, who the hell does this bitch think she is?

In this column, about a TV show showcasing two overweight people falling in love, the writer says things such as:

So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict slumping in a chair.


Huh??? You can't stand to even watch fat people walking??? Here's some news lady, if you want fat people to not be fat, then WALKING is actually a good idea. Let's not make them self-conscience for engaging in an activity that might actually help them lose a few of those pounds you find so "gross."

BTW, check out the comments to the article. Apparently just about everyone who read it was as disgusted as I was.



No comments:

Post a Comment