Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Do You Really Want to Feed this to Your Kids??



If you're wondering what that disgusting looking gunk pictured is, you can read about it here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/04/mechanically-separated-meat-chicken-mcnugget-photo_n_749893.html

If you don't want to follow the link, then you should know pictured above is the main ingredient in processed chicken nuggets AKA mechanically separated poultry.

To eek out of few more pennies from chickens, turkeys, hogs etc, meat processors pass the bones through mechanical scrapers then through a high pressure sieve, and the end result is the gross looking pink, foamy stuff you see above, which is then turned into chicken nuggets and other processed meat products.

It gets worse. The end result of the scraping and sieving is crawling with bacteria so it gets washed in ammonia, then because it tastes pretty awful at that point, it's artificially flavored.

And, it's not just chicken nuggets, any mass produced meat product can contain mechanically separated meat, including hot dogs, cold cuts or jerkie.

So the next time you're in the grocery store and want to pick up a package of processed chicken nuggets, hot dogs or cold cuts, think about this picture, then think again.

5 comments:

  1. Ugggh, that is so entirely gross. We all know it, but we just don't want to think about it. Yuckers!!! Love your posts. Are you a vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm not a vegetarian, although I try to eat mostly vegan. I eat meat on occassion, but try to keep it to a minimum. I'll probably never go completely vegetarian or vegan because it's just too inflexible for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Before I read the post, I thought it was strawberry soft serve ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been avoiding mechanically separated poultry products for years because the idea of a machine mashing a chicken or turkey into pulp and then pushing it through a sieve is so gross. I had no idea that it was actually more disgusting than I had imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there, You have done a great job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my
    friends. I'm confident they will be benefited from this web site.

    My page: get auto insurance quotes

    ReplyDelete