Monday, July 18, 2011

Creamy Cauliflower Mac

The New York Times' Mark Bittman has this great recipe that sneaks cauliflower into a Mac and Cheese recipe.

I am always, always, always trying to find ways to get my daughter to eat vegetables--any vegetables, and the ONLY WAY I have succeeded thus far, is by stealth.  

Let me tell you how bad my daughter is, not only will she not eat the vegetables, she used to throw tantrums if they even showed up on her plate (refusing to eat whatever else was on the plate because of the contamination).  It took a long time to break her of that habit, but she will still remove the vegetables (quietly) from her plate if they show up.   I guess the next step is getting her to leave the vegetables on her plate and then into her mouth.

So, stealth is the order of the day when it comes to getting her to eat her veggies, (I've discovered that boiled, then pureed veggies blend seamlessly into a wide variety of meals) so next time I see cauliflower at that farmer's market I'm picking some up to make Bittman's recipe. 

BTW, what do you think about Kraft adding freeze-dried cauliflower powder into its macaroni and cheese?   I'm not a big fan of Kraft, but I am thinking of possibly keeping some pureed cauliflower in the freezer to utilize whenever I make a boxed version of Macaroni and cheese for my daughter.

1 comment:

  1. Not a big fan of craft either, but pureeing your own cauliflower gets a thumbs up.
    Have you tried the WW recipe for black bean brownies? Puree a can of black beans, with it's liquid, mix with your fav box of brownie mix and bake.....result dense delicious brownies....don't knock it till you try it!

    ReplyDelete