Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Now this Pisses Me Off

I'm sorry, but telling me to just avoid runny eggs is not acceptable: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/23/egg-recall-fda-runny-egg-yolks_n_691511.html?ir=Living.

Dear FDA, I happen to like my eggs over easy, and mopping up runny yolks with my toast is for me the whole raison d'etre to be eating them in the first place. That our government is simply telling us to stop eating a traditional form of eggs because they do not want to confront the industrial food industry is just disgusting.

When paying fines simply becomes a cost of doing business, I think we have to rethink our strategy for keeping the food supply safe.

My personal strategy is to just avoid agribusiness food as much as I can. While there is of course no guarantee that eating food produced at small farms will not be free from disease, it's a lot less likely that a small farmer will raise his animals or produce crops in conditions that are more likely to produce the pathogens that will make us sick.

I also want to apologize for not writing for several days. I'm on vacation at the beach, and have been taking a bit of a break from the Internet for the last few days.

2 comments:

  1. This is the one of the reasons I avoid not only eggs but meat. The contamination issues are absurd. Both the FDA and the USDA should be ashamed of themselves. I think both agencies should be scrapped and new employees with no ties to the industry hired. I can complain about this for days. Climbing off my soapbox now. ;-)

    I hope you are enjoying your vacation,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete