Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Losing Weight is a Bitch, and Gaining it takes No Effort at All



I've put on 5 pounds.   At the beginning of April I weighed 129 pounds.  Yesterday I stepped on the Scale and I weighed 134 pounds.

Since I'm so small, five pounds is quite a lot of weight for me, and I'm already having problems with the fit of some of my clothes.

How did it happen?

Well, probably the biggest culprit is less exercise.   I've had a history of issues with my hips and knees, and for the last few months they've really been acting up.  I've been curtailing my walks somewhat because of the pain by walking fewer miles over the course of the week.  I've been trying to make up the calorie burn in other activities.  I've been gardening quite a bit-often one to two hours a day, and I've been working out with a personal trainer once a week.   But I guess nothing else burns calories like a good walk or a run.

Second, I haven't been as fastidious with my diet as I should be.  In particular, I've been eating more meat and dairy and fewer vegetables than I really should.   I also haven't been eating as many raw fruits and vegetables as I should.  

The problem is that my social calendar tends to explode in late April, and with all the fund-raisers, parties, barbecues, etc., I've let my eating habits slide back into bad patterns.  They're probably still good in comparison to others, but not as good as they need to be to prevent weight gain.

So, rather than beating myself up, I think I'm going to try to plan a good cleanse to get my eating habits back on track, and rethink my exercise patterns to take into account my joint weaknesses.

Losing Weight is a Bitch, and Gaining it takes no effort at All.

5 comments:

  1. I can SO relate to this post... it's SO frustrating!!! I know you will get yourself back on track...summer can be such a hard time to keep the weight off even though one seems to get so much more active. Oxymoron...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do the research on a cleanse before you start and prepare yourself. whew, as I wipe my brow just thinking about it. Read 21lbs in 21 days by Dr. Roni and James. Good luck...I'm over 40 and wish that 5 lbs was all I had to lose so KUDOS to you for stopping the problem before it becomes a real problem...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating away from home is a difficult road to navigate well. Awareness is the key and you've got that. I'm not sure if you have a bike, but non weight bearing exercise can be kinder on the knees. Good luck on the month ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. worknprogress, I'm a bit of a cleansing pro at this point, but I do agree that before you try one for the first time (or even the second or third time), you need to do you'r research. Finding the right cleanse for YOU is just as important as doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attractive component of content. I simply stumbled upon your
    weblog and in accession capital to claim that I acquire
    in fact loved account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing for your augment and even
    I fulfillment you get right of entry to persistently
    fast.

    my page ... Maine Car Insurance Quote - Trilln.Com -

    ReplyDelete