Thursday, December 30, 2010

Winter Vacation Query?

How many calories do you burn lugging ski equipment into the lodge and then getting ski boots on two kids and yourself?

According to one calorie calculator I could burn 300 to close to 500 calories an hour alpine skiing. But besides the actual activity of skiing, just hauling all the equipment is a chore, and let's not forget about walking around with ski boots.

One thing for sure, after two days of skiing, my thighs are burning--so I my hamstrings and quadriceps are certainly getting a fantastic workout.

I still ski, but I have many friends who say "it's too much work." Guess what? That "work" is calories burning, and after the holidays, spending a few days burning 1,200 to 1,500 extra calories is probably a good thing. So if you want to lose weight (or just not gain it), get to work--start skiing.

Tomorrow we're going cross-country skiing, which burns even more calories an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment