Friday, April 24, 2009

Detox and Weight Loss

Shortly after I began to try to lose weight, I was introduced to the concept of "detoxing." The theory is that your body holds onto fat as a way to deal with all the toxins that it absorbs from chemicals in foods, the environment etc.


I have to admit I was pretty skeptical, but the reality was that my weight loss efforts were not achieving the results I wanted, and were downright dismal. While some detox regimes are pretty radical (like only drinking lemon juice and water for ten days), others are quite sensible.


To me, the idea of detoxing by only eating raw organic fruits and vegetables for a few weeks and doing a short juice fast seemed healthy, and made sense. Of course I'd lose weight only eating raw fruits and veggies. How couldn't I?


However, as detailed in Natalia Rose's book The Raw Food Detox Diet, rushing headlong into an advanced detox would be less than a pleasant experience. Instead, I gradually changed my diet and moved away from coffee, alcohol and other toxins.


Then I got serious, I embarked on a three week detox plan that involved only eating raw, organic fruits and vegetables and juice fasting.


The results were impressive. I lost 10 pounds in the three weeks. I did the detox in early August, and when I went to a Mom's first day of school party everyone marveled at the weight I had lost.



Even more impressive, even after I finished the detox I continued to lose weight at a much faster clip than I had prior to the detox for months afterwards.


A lot of main stream medical doctors and sources will tell you that detoxing is a sham. But all I know is that it worked for me. I continue to do short term detoxes from time to time, and have followed a number of different methodologies for doing so.


Here's a good one for those who want a little meat and fish in their detox: http://www.goop.com/newsletter/15/.

No comments:

Post a Comment