Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Eating Well While Losing Weight

Make every calorie count taste-wise.   Apparently a veteran food writer discovered the same thing that I did on my weight loss journey.   If you eat higher quality, better tasting food, you naturally eat less.

Now, I've ranted against eating ultra-processed, mass-manufactured foods for a number of reasons in the past, but one thing I realized very early on is that it really doesn't taste that great either.   Oh, we're fooled by sugar and salt into thinking that packaged food tastes good, but once you get used to eating "real" food, you really can never go back to eating processed foods.  

And by eating real food you eat less.   Since you're cravings are never really satisfied by eating crap, you naturally eat more. 

For example, if, instead of a box or bag of mass-produced processed cookies you went to a really good bakery and bought just a couple cookies, I can guarantee you that you would feel like you got your sugar fix with fewer calories.  

Not to mention that a good walk to and from the bakery is a good way to walk off a few of those aforementioned calories.  

Michael Pollan in his Food Rules wrote that you should eat less but better.

I agree.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with this post. In my own journey I too found that packaged, processed foods are nowhere near as good as fresh. Cutting the bulk of them out has helped me tremendously! When I did choose to have some of my favorites I found that I either very much dislike them now, or they weren't as good as I remembered and certainly not worth the extra calories and sodium. I am still learning (about 9 months into my journey and 150 pounds lighter) so there are still some packaged things that I eat but not many. Thank you for sharing :)I am enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shedding pounds/Losing weight is never an easy task that’s why ultimate fat burner help by providing sensible information about losing weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful website. A lot of useful information here.
    I'm sending it to a few pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you in your effort!

    Here is my homepage: general auto insurance ()

    ReplyDelete